Vape pen kills Florida man
They say smoking is bad for you
Fierce debate rages between the supporters and cynics of the safety of vaping, however, a vaping tragedy has claimed its first scalp.
A vape pen device exploded killing a man in Florida, US last month. This is believed to be the first death attributed to a vape apparatus, according to reports from the NY Times.
The fatal wound, according to William A. Pellan, the director of investigations at the medical examiner’s office for Pinellas County, was a “projectile wound to the head,” and the victim, Tallmadge D’Elia reportedly suffered 80 percent burns to his body.
The victim was at home in St. Petersburg, Fla on May 5 when the device violently exploded. The blast was so strong it also caused a fire in the bedroom of the deceased.
One gruesome detail to emerge confirmed a piece of vape pen removed from his head had the logo of the manufacturer, Mountain Mech Works, which is based in the Philippines.
Mountain Mech Works, is renowned for making a specific vape pen known as the mechanical mod. No official statement was offered by the company, however, a representative told ABC Action News that its devices do not explode, adding that the problem may have stemmed from the battery.
Mechanical mods give users more direct access to the battery and do not use inner circuitry to regulate the voltage. According to Gregory Conley, the president of the American Vaping Association, he said that these types of devices are used by hobbyists. He went on to assure that the majority of e-cigarettes that the vast majority of people use have inbuilt safety features.
Be careful out there folks.
LIFESTYLE Social issues
MOVIES Sylvester stallone