Dive in: 5 surprising 'Shark Week' facts to bite into
TV Shark week
Every year audiences around the world tune into Discovery Channel for a week of deadly catches, epic fish stories, and an incredible look at the world below sea level—this is 'Shark Week.'
To get everyone excited for this epic 10-program series showcasing all things shark related, according to Moneyish, here are five fin-tastic facts about Discovery's 'Shark Week.'
1. Celebrities are obsessed with 'Shark Week.' From talk show hosts to reality TV stars, everyone wants a bite of this epic ocean special.
Can’t believe it’s Shark Week again. It seems like just yesterday I was taking down last year’s Shark Week decorations.— Conan O'Brien (@ConanOBrien) August 3, 2011
2. People tune into 'Shark Week' around the world. At its all-time peak, the program had a whopping 15 million viewers and was available in 220 countries.
3. 'Shark Week' is the longest-running TV program in entertainment history, airing for the first time 30 years ago.
4. Peter Benchley, who wrote 'Jaws,' was the first host of 'Shark Week' in 1994.
5. The most-watched 'Shark Week' special was when Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps fought a CGI shark. This brought in over five million viewers.