5 Tips for perfectly cooked potatoes
Own your dish
Potatoes are a staple in many American meals. From breakfast potatoes to mashed, any way you serve it, you are going to have something delicious. To take your dish to the next level, follow these tips to perfectly cooked potatoes:
1. Know your potato: There are lots of different varieties, and knowing which vegetable you are dealing with can change the cooking instructions dramatically. From waxy potato, Dutch Baby, red potato, and fingerling, it is beneficial to know which vegetable is right for your dish.
2. Always fry or bake potatoes that are naturally high in starch: Idaho russet is perfect because it is low in moisture and fluffy on the inside. They're great for french fries or baked potatoes.
3. Go for the gold: Yukon Gold potatoes are known for being the most versatile potato. They are waxy, starchy, and when mashed give you that perfect creamy texture.
4. Always parboil before roasting: The secret to evenly baked potatoes is boiling them for 5 to 7 minutes before they go in the oven. But when you parboil, always start with cold water, letting the potatoes warm up as the pot does.
5. Always season before you roast: This will ensure maximum flavor retention. All you really need is olive oil, salt, and pepper, and you have yourself perfectly seasoned potatoes.
6. Don't overcrowd the pan: If the potatoes are too close together, the excess steam will make the whole sheet mushy.
TRAVEL British isles